Well, I have officially survived the first four months of life with our new baby, one adorable little boy named Jude. As someone who barely spent anytime around babies prior to having my own, I feel like this is a feat that warrants celebrating. We’re all alive and we haven’t completely lost our marbles — woo hoo! Of course, I never would have made it this far without a few key items. I know what works for some moms may not work for others, and the same can probably be said for babies (they can be quite particular, just like their mamas). That said, here are the top 10 things that Jeff, Jude and I needed to not only survive, but thrive during these four past months:
1. Keekaroo Peanut® Diaper Changer. Why anyone would get a fabric changing pad with machine washable covers is beyond me! This baby is impermeable to fluids, so clean up is easy…no laundering required! Plus, it comes in a bevy of colors to suit any nursery.
2. Miracle Blanket. Our baby can Harry Houdini his way out of most swaddles, but the Miracle Blanket kept him locked and loaded until I was ready to set him free. If I had to do it all again, I wouldn’t waste my time with any others…except maybe one of two cute ones from Little Hip Squeaks.
3. BOB Revolution SE Stroller & Britax B-Safe Infant Car Seat. Our little guy loves to go for rides in his stroller. When the weather is nice, we strap him in and hit the greenbelt near our house. When it’s too cold or wet outdoors, we give him rides in the house. It almost always relaxes him, sometimes even knocking him out for a bit. Sure, this stroller might be a bit on the heavy side (25 lbs), but I appreciate it’s durability and plan to use it for years to come.
4. Skip Hop Activity Gym. Jude has loved this thing since he was just a wee bitty babe. At first he just kind of stared up at the brightly colored, dangling toys. Now that he’s older he grabs, kicks and tries to put them into his mouth (like almost everything else he comes in contact with).
6. Fisher-Price Newborn Rock ‘n Play Sleeper. Thing thing has been a lifesaver for us. Jude hasn’t really liked any of the baby swings people have lent us, but he loves this thing. It rocks, it vibrates, it makes Jude happy…most of the time (I’ve discovered that nothing ever works 100% of the time with a baby). Oh, and it’s lightweight and easy to move around the house, which is really nice.
7. Levana Jena Digital Baby Video Monitor. This thing has worked brilliantly for when the little guy is napping in his crib and we want to get things done while still keeping an eye on him.
8. Ubbi Diaper Pail. Is it weird to love a diaper pail? Well, I do! This one is attractive (as much as a poop receptacle can be), keeps odors in lockdown, comes in a ton of colors and uses regular kitchen bags. Totally worth the spendy price tag, in my humble opinion.
9. NoseFrida: The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator. Makes clearing out those pesky nose boogies way more gratifying…albeit a tad bit disturbing at the same time. Ha.
10. Pampers Swaddlers. We’ve tried almost every brand of diapers and Pampers have by far been our favorite (read: the one least likely to fail). If you’re going with disposable diapers, Pampers Swaddlers are the way to go!
And just because he’s so freaking adorable, here’s a picture of Jude laughing…